A 79-year-old woman explains how she got zapped for thousands of dollars in a sweetheart scam in this report from WFMY News 2 in the Greensboro, Winston Salem areas in North Carolina.
Valentine's time scamaroo review: Torched for $400,000, great safety tips and a new movie on the scary side of dating apps
Valentine's Day time is a joyous time for many daters. But reminders abound at this time of year about the darker side of dating.
Good advice to follow from Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine: "Research someone you meet online; don't rely only on what that person tells you. Perform Internet searches and consider getting a background check."
Here's a roundup of stories that spotlight dangers and key safety issues.
- Marie Mortera of NBC 3 News in Las Vegas reports on a $400,000 sweetheart scam.
- Fox 4 News in Kansas City reports on a woman tricked into giving $8,000 after a Match.com connection.
- WFMY News 2 in North Carolina offers a sad story about a woman who lost big money from an overseas sweetheart scammer.
- Lauren Walker of Newsweek offers a great headline on her article to go along with safety tips: "FBI Warns online daters: Don't be OKStupid."
- Dale Dixon of the Better Business Bureau in Idaho recounts a scam story and offers some classic "bewares" and dating safety tips.
- Ohio Attorney Genral Mike DeWine weighs in on dating scams and offers safety tips.
- Rae Johnson of Gizmodo in Australia offers an Aussie perspective on how to avoid online dating scams. Good safety tips Down Under also hold well for daters in the United States and elsewhere. Here's a twist from the story on the overseas ploys that daters in the United States encouter: "The scammer typically claims to be from the United States but is temporarily located elsewhere in the world."
- Allison Piowarski of Bustle tells about a new Lifetime Movie called "Wrong Swipe" that delves into the dangers encountered on the fictional dating app "Swipe."
- And, last, Frank Kobola of Esquire explores whether online dating is dangerous in the age of Tinder and Bumble.
For more dating scam news, try searching for the words "dating scam" in the green menu search bar here on InspectaDate. Also, check out previous Date Inspector Blog posts on scams, frauds and dangerous dates along with the Dating Safety Tips page.